Picture yourself effortlessly cruising through city streets, carrying heavy loads with ease, all while reducing your carbon footprint and getting some exercise. This is the magic of cargo e-bikes. These electric-assisted bicycles are designed to carry heavy loads, making them the perfect solution for urban commuters, small businesses, and families alike. With the popularity of e-bikes on the rise, the market for cargo e-bikes has exploded in recent years, offering an array of models with varying features and capabilities. As a team of passionate e-bike enthusiasts, we’ve tested and evaluated countless cargo e-bikes to bring you the top 6 picks for 2023. So sit back, buckle up, and get ready to discover the best cargo e-bikes on the market!
How do we test these Cargo E-bikes?
At our evaluation team for e-bikes, we understand that testing cargo e-bikes requires a rigorous and comprehensive approach. To ensure that we are providing you with the most accurate and reliable information, we conduct our testing in a variety of environments and situations.
We start by testing cargo e-bikes in controlled environments, such as on indoor rollers, to gather basic performance data such as speed, range, and power consumption. From there, we take cargo e-bikes out on the road, testing them on both urban and rural terrain to evaluate their handling, stability, and overall ride quality.
One of the challenges we faced during our testing was finding suitable testing areas. Cargo e-bikes are designed for carrying heavy loads, so we needed to ensure that the roads and pathways we tested them on were suitable for carrying large and often cumbersome loads. Additionally, we had to take into consideration the varying regulations and laws for e-bikes in different regions, ensuring that we were complying with local laws and regulations.
We also tested cargo e-bikes in different weather conditions to evaluate their performance in adverse weather, such as rain and snow. We analyzed their braking and handling capabilities in these conditions, ensuring that they were safe and reliable for use in all types of weather.
Our testing process is designed to provide a comprehensive evaluation of each cargo e-bike’s capabilities and limitations. We believe that by testing in a variety of environments and situations, we can provide you with the most accurate and reliable information possible.
Price: $965.99 – $1,049.99
- The Mongoose Envoy cargo bike is designed to carry heavy loads while providing a comfortable and smooth ride. It features a lightweight aluminum cargo frame, front wheel spring damper, and full Shimano 3×8 drivetrain that provides a wide gear range and smooth shifting. The bike also includes full front and rear fenders that keep riders clean and dry.
- The cargo bike has a super-solid, sturdy frame that is designed to provide maximum stability and balance. This makes it easy to carry heavy loads without compromising on performance or safety.
- The Mongoose Envoy cargo bike comes with two large cargo bags that are weather-resistant and easy to attach. They offer a lot of space for carrying groceries, packages, and other items. Additionally, the rear racks include 5mm threaded mounting points for a wide range of aftermarket accessories.
- The bike is highly customizable and includes M5 bosses everywhere in the back half of the frame. This allows users to add any custom solution that fits their fancy.
- The front brake on the bike does not work as delivered, and the front derailleur is completely out of adjustment. This can be a major issue for less mechanically inclined users who may need to take the bike to a local bike shop for repairs.
- The included bags are nice, but they are not deep enough for carrying larger items. Users may need to purchase additional bags or accessories to carry larger loads.
- The bolts used to attach the rear lower rack are low profile hex head bolts with a Phillips head socket in their center. This can make it difficult to use a wrench on at least two of these bolts, and users may need to purchase a Phillips head screwdriver.
The bike is designed to carry heavy loads (up to 400 pounds) and provides a smooth, comfortable ride. The included cargo bags are weather-resistant and easy to attach, and the bike’s frame includes M5 bosses that allow for a wide range of aftermarket accessories. However, we were disappointed to find that the front brake did not work as delivered, and the front derailleur was completely out of adjustment. This could be a major issue for less mechanically inclined users who may need to take the bike to a local bike shop for repairs. Additionally, the included bags are not deep enough for carrying larger items, which may require users to purchase additional bags or accessories.
Overall, we believe that the Mongoose Envoy cargo bike is a great value for its price and a highly recommended entry-level cargo bike. However, users should be aware of the potential issues with the front brake and front derailleur and should be prepared to make any necessary adjustments or repairs.
Shop here: Mongoose Envoy Cargo Bike
- Versatile Riding Modes: The bike offers three riding modes – pure electric mode, pure manpower mode, and pedal assist mode. This allows riders to customize their ride performance based on their preferences and needs. The Shimano 7-speed system further enhances the versatility of the bike, providing a smooth and efficient riding experience. The Retro Cargo Electric Bike is suitable for riders with a height between 165cm (65in) and 195cm (77in) and can support a weight of up to 180kg (396lbs).
- Large Color Screen Instrument & Headlight: The bike features an LCD display computer that provides clear information about the speed, distance, and battery remaining capacity. This allows riders to monitor their riding stats easily. The super bright LED headlight enhances safety during nighttime rides, ensuring better visibility on the road.
- Good Service & Warranty: The Retro Cargo Electric Bike comes with a range of additional accessories, including a tail light, basket, fender, lock, pump, and mobile phone holder. It also offers a 12-month warranty for the battery, charger, motor, and controller, providing peace of mind to the buyers. The responsive customer service team is readily available to assist with any questions or concerns.
- Crooked Basket and Missing Screws: One drawback mentioned was that the basket arrived slightly crooked, requiring contact with customer service for resolution. Additionally, some screws for the front wheel were lost during installation, which required the assistance of the seller to provide replacements.
- Initial Front Brake Adjustment: Another con highlighted was that the front brake required adjustment upon arrival. This could potentially be a hassle for less mechanically inclined users who may need to seek assistance from a local bike shop to ensure proper functionality.
- Lack of Detailed Cons: While the personal views expressed overall satisfaction with the bike, specific cons related to its performance or features were not provided in the given content. It’s possible that the reviewers did not have any significant negative experiences or issues to highlight.
The overall features of this cargo ebike are satisfactory. The high-performance lithium battery offers excellent range and charging capabilities. The versatile riding modes and Shimano 7-speed system allow for a customized riding experience. The large color screen instrument provides convenient access to ride data, while the bright LED headlight enhances safety during night rides.
The team also appreciated the responsive and helpful customer service, ensuring a positive buying experience. The bike’s power, comfortable ride, and durable construction were notable features. The Retro Cargo Electric Bike received attention and compliments from onlookers, and the dual motors provided ample power for climbing hills. The bike’s ease of assembly and value for the money were additional factors that the team found appealing. Overall, the Retro Cargo Electric Bike offers a combination of performance, functionality, and customer support that makes it a compelling choice for riders looking for a versatile and reliable electric bike.
Shop here: Lanshanchu Retro Cargo Bike
- Efficient Purchase and Delivery Process: The purchasing and delivery process of the trike was exceptional, with a quick delivery timeframe and reliable service. The boxes were manageable and well-packaged, ensuring the safe arrival of the product. The battery also arrived promptly, even on a Sunday, which added to the positive experience.
- Sturdy and Reliable Frame: The frame of the trike was commended for its durability and solid construction. The welds were well-done, and the overall finish of the frame was satisfactory. This provided reassurance regarding the quality and longevity of the product.
- Smooth Ride and Motor Performance: Test rides demonstrated the trike’s impressive performance, with speeds of up to 15 mph achievable. The trike provides the feeling of a moped while still allowing for exercise when desired. The motor and pedaling mechanisms work together seamlessly, offering a satisfying riding experience.
- Good Value for Price: The trike was deemed a good value for its price point, particularly when compared to the cost of purchasing a conversion kit separately. The affordability of the trike, combined with its features and performance, made it a worthwhile investment for the team.
- Instruction Manual and Assembly: One of the drawbacks mentioned was the subpar quality of the instruction manual. The manual lacked clarity, especially for individuals without prior experience in bike assembly. Although YouTube videos and FAQs were suggested as alternative resources, they didn’t fully address the assembly challenges. The team encountered some difficulties during the assembly process, leading them to seek professional assistance at a bike shop.
- Chain Slack and Minor Adjustments: The team noticed some issues after assembly, such as chain slack, which required adjustment. They were unable to determine the cause of the slack themselves. Additionally, while the overall packaging was decent, a hard drop during shipping resulted in bent rear mainframe dropouts, requiring some fixing.
- Pedal Assist Functionality: The pedal assist feature received mixed reviews. While it was appreciated for aiding in mobility, some users with knee issues found it challenging due to its all-or-nothing engagement. The fixed power output made it difficult to pedal at a comfortable pace. However, one team member found a modification solution to control the motor assistance, allowing for a more personalized riding experience.
The team expressed enthusiasm for the trike, appreciating its value, ease of use, and the benefits it offered for mobility. The smooth ride and moped-like feel were particularly enjoyable. However, the team recognized the need for prior assembly experience or professional assistance due to the challenges faced during the assembly process. The pedal assist functionality received mixed reviews, with some team members finding it unsuitable for their needs, while others found a satisfactory modification solution.
Overall, the trike was viewed as a valuable and affordable investment, providing an efficient means of transportation while also promoting exercise. It is worth noting that the personal views expressed are based on the experiences and perspectives of the team members, and individual opinions may vary.
Shop here: Viribus 24″ 26″ 3 Wheel Electric Cargo Bike
- Storage space: The storage space is very large, and it is not just a small car rack, but a large storage box. This way, the storage of goods will be very safe and stable, and there is no need to worry about the risk of goods falling during cycling, which is a major advantage.
- Robust Construction: The e-trike is well built and has a tough exterior. Its durable construction makes it capable of handling bumpy rides on off-road terrains, contributing to its reliability.
- Advanced Features: It’s equipped with an odometer and speedometer, which are both functional and provide important ride metrics. These features enhance the overall user experience by providing crucial information about the ride.
- Parking Brake: The inclusion of a parking brake is a standout feature in this e-trike. Considering the weight of these vehicles, the parking brake is a crucial safety feature that prevents the trike from rolling away when parked.
- Cargo Capacity: The rear cargo basket and insulated liner are noteworthy features of the e-trike. They’re spacious and provide ample room for transporting goods. While the front basket may have its limitations, it adds to the trike’s overall load-carrying capability, making it a practical choice for running errands.
- Lack of Power: The e-trike struggles with power, especially when trying to move from a standstill on an incline or navigating bumpy ground. This limitation could pose a problem for users who live in hilly areas or require e-trikes for off-road journeys.
- Poor Visibility and Brake Performance: The front navigational light is too dark for safe navigation, and the rear tail light is hard to locate, posing a risk during nighttime riding. Additionally, both the front and rear brakes are inadequate unless used simultaneously and at slow speeds, compromising the safety of the vehicle.
From our perspective, the e-trike presents a mixed bag. Its robust construction and load-carrying ability are significant positives that align with our needs. We appreciate that we can transport goods with ease, making it a useful tool for daily errands. The addition of the parking brake also adds to the vehicle’s appeal, given its importance in ensuring safety.
However, the lack of power and poor visibility are significant drawbacks. As a team that values efficiency and safety, we find these issues concerning. The assembly and quality issues further add to our reservations about the e-trike. So while the e-trike has some commendable features, the cons seem to outweigh the pros at this point. We believe that with some improvements, especially in power and visibility, this e-trike could be a great vehicle for daily use. Until then, we’d suggest potential buyers consider these factors carefully before making a purchase.
Shop here: DWMEIGI 3 Wheel Electric Cargo Bike
- Powerful Uphill Performance: The bike’s robust 750W motor and 86Nm torque provide superior uphill ability, allowing it to easily conquer 40° inclines. This makes the Big Dog a suitable choice for those who need to traverse steep terrains regularly or carry heavy loads. The bike’s impressive power can turn what could be a strenuous uphill journey into a comfortable and effortless ride.
- Versatile Cargo Capacity: The electric bike is designed with an extra-large, removable rear rack, making it multi-functional for various transport needs. Whether you’re carrying groceries, delivering goods, or simply moving items around, the Big Dog offers a convenient solution. The double-leg kickstand further adds to its stability when parked, allowing it to handle more weight without tipping over.
- Upgraded Braking System: Big Dog features hydraulic disc brakes, known for their superior performance and efficiency. They are lighter, more potent, and provide finer control compared to traditional braking systems. This not only improves safety but also enhances the overall riding experience.
- Ergonomic and Inclusive Design: The upgraded 6061Alunmium bike frame can hold up a total payload of 400lbs. Its Step-Thru design allows easy mounting and dismounting, catering to a broad range of riders from 5’1″ to 6’5″. The adjustable seat height and SR saddle add to the comfort, absorbing shocks when riding on rugged roads.
- Weight: Weighing in at 88 lbs, the Big Dog is heavier than some might expect. This could pose a challenge for those of a smaller stature or those who are not used to handling heavier bikes. It might make mounting, dismounting, and transporting the bike a bit tricky.
- Throttle Issues: The throttle is active immediately after powering up the bike in any setting, which can be a safety issue. This unusual feature may surprise riders, potentially causing accidents if not handled with care.
- Inaccurate Display: The battery display shows bars instead of exact stats, making it difficult for riders to accurately gauge battery status. This lack of precision can be inconvenient, especially for longer rides where battery management is crucial.
The Himiway Big Dog E-Bike is a powerful beast, perfect for those who seek adventure and aren’t afraid of a little extra weight. It’s like the reliable workhorse of e-bikes, always ready to conquer the next hill or haul your goods across town. Its cargo capacity is a game-changer, like having a personal pickup truck, but way more eco-friendly and fun. However, the weight of the bike and the active throttle issue do give me pause. To me, it feels like you’re handling a powerful creature that’s ready to bolt at any moment. I can’t help but imagine some pretty wild scenarios where things could go sideways if you’re not careful.
Yet, in some odd way, that’s part of the appeal. It’s not your average e-bike; it’s a robust, multi-functional machine that demands respect. With the right precautions, it offers an extraordinary riding experience, particularly for those who need to transport goods regularly. The Big Dog doesn’t just carry your stuff; it turns your everyday errands into a thrilling adventure. So, despite its few quirks, I’m quite captivated by its charm. It’s an e-bike that truly makes a statement. We would recommend it, but with a word of caution: handle with care.
Shop here: Himiway Big Dog Cargo Ebike
Limited Space: One of the drawbacks mentioned by a user is the limited space between the seat and the front of the bike. This could affect the comfort and maneuverability of the rider, particularly when the bike is loaded with goods.
Potential Weather Limitations: While the bike performs well in snowy conditions, it’s unclear how it performs in other adverse weather situations like heavy rain or extreme heat. These conditions could affect the performance and safety of the bike, especially when transporting goods.
- Long Range and Powerful Motor: The Himiway Cruiser e-bike is equipped with a Samsung/LG 48V 17.5Ah battery that boasts an impressive range. It’s capable of 35-60 miles in pure electric mode and 60+ miles in pedal-assist mode. The bike’s hub motor performs well even in steep terrains, which is essential when the bike is loaded with goods.
- Durable Frame and Quality Hardware: The bike’s frame is robust, well-assembled, and welded together nicely. The hardware is name-branded and offers good quality, indicating a high likelihood of withstanding the additional weight of loaded goods.
- Easy Assembly and Comprehensive Standard Features: The bike comes securely packaged and requires minimal assembly, a convenient feature for users. It also offers numerous standard features compared to other e-bikes in the market, providing users with more value.
- All-Season and All-Terrain Capability: The Himiway Cruiser e-bike has proven its capability to navigate through snowy and icy conditions, which speaks to its versatility. This feature, along with the ability to install additional storage components like a back box and a front basket, is beneficial for transporting goods under various conditions.
Its long-range capabilities and strong motor, combined with a robust frame and quality hardware, makes it a compelling choice for users who need to transport goods. The bike’s all-terrain capabilities add to its appeal, as it assures users of its reliability under various conditions.
However, we believe that addressing the issue of limited space between the seat and the front of the bike could enhance the overall user experience. Moreover, providing more detailed information on how the bike performs under diverse weather conditions would be beneficial for potential users. Despite these minor concerns, the Himiway Cruiser e-bike stands out for its value, durability, and performance, making it a worthy consideration for anyone in need of a load-bearing e-bike.
Shop here: Himiway Fat Tire Electric Cargo Bike
FAQ about cargo electric bike
A cargo e-bike, or electric cargo bike, is a type of electric bicycle designed for transporting larger or heavier loads than a traditional bicycle can carry. These e-bikes come equipped with an electric motor that provides pedal assistance, which is particularly useful when the bike is loaded with cargo.
The design of cargo e-bikes typically includes one or more large racks, baskets, or other types of cargo compartments. Some cargo e-bikes have a long, extended frame (often called “longtails”) to accommodate larger loads, while others feature a cargo area located between the rider and the front wheel (often called “front-loaders” or “bakfiets”).
There are several advantages to using a cargo e-bike. They offer a sustainable, low-cost transportation solution that can save money on fuel and parking costs. They can also improve fitness and health by providing exercise while transporting goods. Cargo e-bikes are also more environmentally friendly than traditional delivery vehicles.
The weight limits for cargo e-bikes can vary greatly based on the specific model of the bike and the strength of the motor and battery. It also depends on the structural design of the bike, including frame materials and cargo attachment points.
As a general guideline, many cargo e-bikes are designed to carry between 100 to 200 kilograms (220 to 440 pounds) in addition to the rider’s weight. This includes the weight of the cargo plus any passengers.
However, it’s always important to check the manufacturer’s specifications and guidelines before loading up a cargo e-bike. Overloading can put excessive stress on the frame and components and may affect the handling and safety of the bike. Also, heavier loads may drain the battery faster, reducing the e-bike’s range.
There are two types of electric cargo bicycles that you can choose. The first one is called front loader bikes, which are also named bakfiets or long johns. This type of cargo bike has a cargo box between the rider and the front wheel where you could put all the stuff you want, so called cargo bicycle. The second type of electric cargo bike has a longtail or midtail. This type of cargo ebike has a box at the end of the bicycle that can hold more room for your belongings.
Both these two types have their own pros and cons but how to choose the one that fits you? Actually, I’ve found if you are a bigger rider, you might want a front loader bike. Because this type of bike can haul kids and can also be used for a big bin, holding your yard equipment, daily tools, and other stuff. The only problem is that you need a garage or some storage space and a good lock system. This helps to keep your bike safe. Plus, front loader bike can be heavier compared to the other type, and it can be harder to maneuver when you ride them in some rough places. When you ride at lower speeds, you will realise that it’s not stable. So you have to bear that as well.
On the other hand, if you are a smaller or lighter rider, a midtail or longtail is what you want. This type of bike is more like a normal bicycle. But the weight of the bike is suspended on the back end, so some people are nervous about dropping it. I personally have a longtail and to be honest I feel it fits me well. Unlike the front loader one, this longtail gives me better maneuverability. However, it’s quite a hassle, and I’m sure everything is in the same place if you have one, that you need to make sure the everything behind you is strapped down on a rack.
So except for the general rule, that is the weight and height, to help you decide which type of car bike suits you most, I strongly recommend you making an appointment at you local bike shop, and you can actually try some models of cargo bikes before buying one. Also the function is another point you have to consider, like we talked about in the previous part, if you need large space to hold your belongings, then just focus on the space and power of the ebike, that will do.
The regulations regarding the use of cargo e-bikes vary by region and country. In general, most places allow e-bikes to be used on bike paths and roads, but some areas may have specific laws and regulations regarding the use of cargo e-bikes. It’s important to research and understand the local laws and regulations before using a cargo e-bike.
Cargo e-bikes can be more expensive than traditional bicycles, but they are typically less expensive than cars or trucks. The cost of a cargo e-bike depends on the specific model and features, but they can range from a few thousand to tens of thousands of dollars.
The battery life of a cargo e-bike depends on a number of factors including the battery’s capacity, the terrain, the weight being carried, the level of pedal assistance used, and the weather. As a rough estimate, most quality e-bike batteries should provide power for 20 to 60 miles (32 to 97 kilometers) of riding before they need to be recharged.
What are the considerations when choosing a cargo e-bike
Cargo Capacity and Design: The primary purpose of a cargo e-bike is to carry loads, so you’ll want to consider what type of cargo you’ll be transporting most often. Will you be carrying packages, groceries, kids, or other items? Do you need a flatbed, a box, or a seat with safety features for children? For example, if you plan to transport children, you might want an e-bike with a sturdy box in the front, which can offer seats with seatbelts. If you’re delivering goods, you may need an e-bike with a large rear rack or even a flatbed.
Weight Limit: Different cargo e-bikes have different weight capacities. Make sure to choose a bike that can safely carry the weight you intend to transport. For example, if you’re a small business owner delivering heavy goods, you’ll need a cargo e-bike designed to carry a high weight load, like the Urban Arrow Family, which can carry up to around 275 kilograms or 600 pounds.
Battery Capacity and Range: The range of an e-bike, which refers to the distance it can travel on a single charge, is another critical factor. If you’re planning long rides or don’t have regular access to a charging point, a bike with a larger battery and longer range will be beneficial. For example, the Tern GSD is known for its dual-battery option, which can significantly increase its range.
Motor Power: A powerful motor is particularly important for a cargo e-bike, as it will need to assist with heavier loads, especially on hilly terrain. Motors are typically rated by their wattage – the higher the wattage, the more powerful the motor. For example, the Riese & Müller Load has a Bosch Performance CX (Gen 4) motor with up to 85 Nm of torque, providing ample power for steep hills even when fully loaded.
In conclusion, cargo e-bikes are an innovative and sustainable solution for carrying heavy loads while reducing carbon footprint and improving fitness. With the popularity of e-bikes on the rise, the market for cargo e-bikes has exploded in recent years, offering an array of models with varying features and capabilities. At our evaluation team for e-bikes, we’ve tested and evaluated countless cargo e-bikes to bring you the top 10 picks for 2023.
When choosing a cargo e-bike, consider factors such as cargo capacity, battery life and range, motor power, braking system, suspension, size and weight, and price to find the best fit for your needs. Whether you’re a small business owner looking for a sustainable transportation solution, a parent looking for a convenient way to transport kids and groceries, or a commuter looking to reduce transportation costs and improve fitness, there’s a cargo e-bike out there for you.
So cargo e-bikes offer a practical and environmentally friendly alternative to traditional modes of transportation, and we hope our review has helped you find the perfect cargo e-bike for your needs. So, whether you’re commuting to work, running errands, or simply exploring the city, hop on a cargo e-bike and experience the freedom, convenience, and joy of electric-assisted transportation.